Sunday 22 March 2009

Visit to Worthing Churches Homelessness Project

I was delighted to receive an invitation to visit the Worthing Churches Homelessness Project. I saw for myself firsthand the hard work this charity is performing to get homeless people off the streets. I was shown around the drop-in centre and three hostels to gain an understanding of the services the charity offers to homeless people.

There is often a perception that homelessness charities sustain people sleeping rough on our streets. This is simply a myth when it comes to this local project in the heart of Worthing.

I witnessed for myself how project workers come into contact with homeless people, firstly in the drop-in centre, and work with these vulnerable people to help them re-establish their lives.

Basic accommodation is one of the necessities in life. In a modern society such as the UK it is unacceptable that we have homeless people living on our streets in the twenty-first century. People become homeless for all sorts of reasons, such as being made redundant, falling out with relatives and having their home repossessed.

1 comment:

  1. They do a great job and I'm pleased you got to see their work!

    We need people in office who will support the already great work that so many charities and NGOs do accross the country!

    ReplyDelete